- Take a look at the pages by Daniel O’Neil? and Brianna Blanchard
- Read the term papers on nuclear energy
Original questions and topics
- How is the remaining supply of fossil fuels estimated? What does peak oil imply for society?
Pre-research questions for nuclear fission
- What is the process of nuclear fission? (I know as much as atom splitting.)
- Why is nuclear fission pursued (especially when many say it won’t be enough)?
- What is the status of nuclear waste management?
- How are nuclear meltdowns and other dangers avoided today?
- What are the inputs for a fission plant?
- How can fission scale within a plant?
- What is the long-term ability to build more plants?
- What is the difference between thermal and fast reactors?
- Why are pebble bed reactors safer than many other designs?
- How does laser isotopic separation work?
- What is the potential for using thorium as a fuel, instead of uranium?
- What is the current stance of the U.S. government on changing away from the once-through approach we currently use?
- How serious is the nuclear waste disposal problem? Should we attempt to develop Yucca Mountain? Some other centralized repository? Or, should we continue to temporize, hoping that a way to reuse the waste is developed?
- How great a threat does nuclear waste stored on-site at power plants pose? Could a terrorist network use it for nefarious purposes?
- The Economics of Nuclear Power http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf02.html
- Supply of Uranium http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf75.html
- Raymond Murray. Nuclear Energy
- Richard A. Muller. Physics for Future Presidents.
Ch 8 - Radioactivity and Death Ch 9 - Radioactive Decay Ch 11 - Nuclear Madness Ch 12 - Nuclear Power Ch 13 - Nuclear Waste
Types of reactor
- Integral Fast Reactor: http://bravenewclimate.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/anpsmcc_25feb2011.pdf
- http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf35.html (Accelerator driven systems)